Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bergen, Norway

Day 56- Bergen, Norway

Bergen is the second largest city in Norway and has a population of 250,000. Norway is slightly larger than New Mexico and has a population of 4,800,000. Norway is a very beautiful country with Fjords, Glaziers and spectacular scenery. The discovery of oil in the North Sea has greatly benefited Norway. Fishing is also a very big industry now, as it has been for centuries. The currency is the Norwegian Krone and everything is expensive in Norway. Bergen, Norway was founded in the 11th Century. It is a beautiful city and offers spectacular views from Mt. Floien. When you think about Norway, you can't help but think about the Vikings. They were great navigators and fearsome warriors, in the 10 century. Today we took the funicular (a train that is moved by cable up the mountain) to Mt. Flioen. Once we got up to the top we enjoyed beautiful panoramic view of the city and harbor. My marvelously
fit husband decided that we were going to hike down the mountain trail about 2 miles. I must say that I did enjoy the hike. There were switch backs and the most beautiful views, trees, rocks, ferns and moss. When it started raining I just pulled out my umbrella and we continued. I must admit that I do have a few achy muscles today (because it was steep), that I did not know I had, but it was worth it. The trail ended in the City Center and we went to the famous fish market, which was fun. It was a great day in Bergen. Next stop Greenock, England for Edinburgh, Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment